We are constantly evolving as an organisation to meet the demands of the future and we are always looking for talented people to join our team. So whether you are looking for a Customer Service or Mortgage Adviser role in one of our branches or a Head Office position, we’d love to hear from you.
You can email your current CV and covering letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCOTTISH BUILDING SOCIETY
Reference Number: MU022020
Job Title: Mortgage Underwriter
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Benefits: Include: bonus, private health care, non-contributory pension, flexible working, and generous annual leave.
Location: Edinburgh city centre
FULL TIME, PERMANENT
Scottish Building Society is the oldest building society in the world (established in 1848). Our enduring and ongoing success is founded on a robust business model, skilled people, a reputation built on trust and confidence and exceptional customer service.
Not resting on our laurels, we continue to drive the business forward and set new ambitious goals. We want to be the best in our sector and we want to employ the best. We want to grow, achieve, and lead the way in excellence. This is an exciting time to join the Society.
Our people are key to our success, and in addition to our competitive pay and benefits package, we offer an excellent work life balance, a supportive, open, friendly and collaborative working environment, the ability to influence our business and shape our strategy, and professional progression.
Attributes we value are diligence, integrity, team work, creativity, positivity, a desire to continually improve the business and oneself, and a commitment to ensuring that the customer remains at the heart of everything we do.
We are growing, and a Mortgage Underwriter is required to join our busy Underwriting Team.
- Assess individual mortgage applications through Branch and Online channels, making the decision to approve or decline the application. Referring applications out-with authorised mandate level to appropriate level with recommendation on whether application should be approved or declined.
- Carry out an initial assessment of Decision in Principle in accordance with Society Lending Policy/affordability guidelines and make recommendation on whether any variation should be agreed or declined.
- Carry out Fraud investigations as and when required and uploading to Fraud database when required.
- Authorise the issue of mortgage offer papers.
- Provide advice and guidance to branch colleagues on the Society’s mortgage products and lending criteria.
- Provide advice and guidance to branch and Mortgage Admin staff on the Society’s mortgage processing system (Activate).
- Deal with initial Transfer of Equity enquiries and the processing of these applications.
- Consider requests for release of part security e.g. selling land.
- Assess payment holiday requests or drawback of funds, in form of a Further Advance.
- Check mortgage applications prior to release of funds. Process bank transfer reports for release of mortgage funds.
- Participate in regular review of mortgage procedures recommending amendments to manual where appropriate.
- Review and maintain parameters on Activate, in accordance with the Society’s lending policy and available mortgage products.
- Review and provide/maintain mortgage product and lending criteria information held on other third party systems.
- Assist with the provision of Management Information to the Head of Lending as and when required.
- Assist with other areas of departmental work as requested.
- Active participation in projects to improve processes and procedures within Underwriting.
- Provide Mortgage Administration colleagues with training and mentoring on end to end mortgage processing, review of supporting documents and production of offer documents.
- Management of serious arrears cases, discussing and making arrangements with borrowers, liaising with Solicitors, debt advice agencies etc. and taking legal action where necessary.
- Providing guidance to branches on acceptable arrangements and non-serious arrears cases.
- Management of properties in possession, to include arranging repairs, marketing and liaising with Mortgage Operations Manager and Head of Lending
- Preparing arrears reports for committees.
- Processing of various transactions on mortgage accounts.
- Manage a portfolio of approx. 140 non-standard higher risk mortgage accounts.
- Comply with the requirements of the Senior Managers & Certification Regime
Qualifications and Experience required for this role:
- MAPC or equivalent
- Previous experience as an underwriter
- Knowledge of all mortgage and general insurance related matters
If you would like to work for a company that really cares about its people and customers; you want to make a real impact and have a can do attitude, then we would like to hear from you. Please forward your cover letter, CV and salary expectations.
Closing Date: 24 February 2020