Scottish Building Society is pleased to offer Mortgages for people looking to buy or remortgage a Guest House or Bed and Breakfast in Scotland.
5 great reasons to choose a Guest House Mortgage from Scottish Building Society
Key features of our Guest House Mortgage:
People looking to buy or remortgage a Guest House with up to 6 letting bedrooms.The business of running the guest house should be the sole occupation of at least one of the parties to the mortgage. The applicant(s) must be able to demonstrate that they have the appropriate expertise to successfully run a guest house business.
Guest House Mortgages are to be occupied by you and with a maximum of 9 bedrooms in total and no more than 6 of which may be 'guest rooms'. The owner(s) must reside in the property. All mortgages are subject to a suitable property valuation. For property purchases in Scotland, we can normally use the property valuation contained in the sellers' Home Report provided that it is no more than 3 months old (please speak with our mortgage advisers for further details).
We will lend up to a maximum of 75% of the property value or purchase price (whichever is lower). For remortgages, the minimum loan size is £30,000. Maximum loan size is £350,000.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old on application and normally not more than 70 at end of mortgage term. Minimum mortgage term is 5 years and maximum term is 35 years.
How much can I borrow?
All applications are dealt with on an individual basis and the amount you can borrow will depend on your circumstances. The following information will be required to assess any application:
- If you are buying or remortgaging an existing Guest House we will require up to 3 years trading accounts for the business.
- If you are starting a new business or think an existing business has scope for increased trading then we will require a 12 month cash flow forecast and projected accounts for next 12 months together with a detailed business plan to support your application.
- Details of any previous business experience you have.
- Details of any continuing employment or income that you will have in addition to the Guest House business.
Any existing financial commitments will also be taken into consideration when affordability is calculated. The Society is not able to consider debt consolidation for Guest House Remortgages.
Interest Rate Options:
The interest rate available will depend on size of the business, as follows:
- If the Guest House has no more than 3 letting bedrooms and the mortgage can be supported by earned income (i.e. not income generated from the Guest House) then we may be able to offer you interest rate options from our current residential mortgage range.
- If the property has no more than 6 letting bedrooms then we can offer you rates from our current Guest House Mortgage range.
Free Basic Legal Service: When remortgaging a Guest House property to Scottish Building Society we will provide you with a free basic legal service which means you won't have any solicitors fees to pay. However, the solicitors we use will act only for the Society in the transfer of the mortgage and if you require any additional services or advice you will need to pay for these separately. If you wish to use your own solicitors then the Society will contribute £150 towards your legal costs.
Free Valuation: Scottish Building Society will instruct a valuation when all other conditions have been satisfied.
- Capital and interest
- Interest Only. Repayment of the mortgage can be by sale of the Guest House business.
A first charge will be taken over the property being purchased or remortgaged as security for the mortgage lending.
Where Early Repayment Charges apply to any of our mortgages you may be allowed to make overpayments (normally up to 10% of the loan amount per annum) without penalty.
Buildings Insurance must be arranged prior to funds being released. Our advisers can provide competitive quotations for buildings insurance and also life cover. You are not required to arrange these or any other insurances through Scottish Building Society.
To take the next step, call and talk to one of our specialist mortgage advisers.
0345 600 4085